Monday, September 17, 2007

Monday Update from Debbie

11am Mon 9-17-07
From Debbie

Surely this has been a trying weekend.

Regarding Jerry's current status:

We are dealing with a sepsis situation. Today he will be started on a temporary, continuous, gentle form of kidney dialysis. Obviously the more organ support he needs complicates the picture. These means of support can be viewed as "bridges" to better health, or "chances" for the various systems to recover.

We have lots of "eyes on the problem", cardiac, pulmonary, renal, infectious disease and GI/nutrition teams. As well as 24 hour constant nursing care. The quality of Jerry's care both in Bloomington and here at NW has never been a concern. In addition, Jerry's cousin, Dr. Ben Taimoorazy (from Bloomington) has been watching us very closely and has truly been a great gift, for which we are thankful.

Specific prayer requests:

  1. Gratitude for his medical treatment and continued wisdom for his team.
  2. Gratitude for the love, prayers and support of our friends and family. We need and appreciate all of you.
  3. Request that God carry this burden of Jerry's complicated medical needs, as it is certainly too big for us alone.

As for me, I have realized that one is not particularly born with the skill set to manage a situation like this. So, I am learning, adjusting, coping and reframing as we go forward each day. My Mom was here again this weekend and that was very helpful. My current "plan" is to be a the hospital, as always, 6:30-7 am and to leave (based on the days treatment plan) in the late afternoon. It is VERY hard to leave, but I have to do it, as we are now entering week 4. It is another step I must take on this journey. I'm experimenting tonight with friends at a real restaurant for dinner. Maybe this will be another positive coping tool. I'm sure it will be good in many ways.

I've said from early in this journey that I want to handle all of the facets of this situation in a way that would make Jerry proud, as I know that ultimately I will answer to Jerry for each decision I make. My selfish prayer is that I will have the wisdom needed throughout the course of his care. I ask God for this daily.

Lastly, I want to express our gratitude to all of you who love and care for us. We could not have come this far without you. Your prayers sustain us. Your constant thoughts, notes, cards, calls, messages humble and overwhelm us. Thank you. Simply said, we feel your love.

Love, Debbie and Jerry

4 comments:

Pokalong said...

Debbie,

Jerry and you are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. We believe and trust that God is keeping you both in the palm of his hands. Keep the faith.

Love,

Sue and Doug

Judy Caperton said...

Dear Debbie and Jerry, I am a friend of Frankie Pelfrey, and have met you both a couple of times at the Island in Florida. I just want to let you know that you both are in my prayers, and my thoughts as I pray for complete recovery for Jerry, and strength for Debbie to get through this . I live in Ohio, just so you know someone here is pulling for you too!

aehchicago said...

our prayers and thoughts are with you both...you are a rock, Debbie...let us know what you want or need...we love you both...Ellen and Louise

Dave Plasman said...

Debbie,

Our prayers are for Jerry's recovery, of course, but also for you. We pray for strength for this day. Dave has learned that the waiting (when you wish you could do so much more) is very difficult. So we lift you especially, up in prayer, praying for patience and strength beyond measure. God bless you.

Dave and Jean Plasman