Saturday, October 6, 2007

From Debbie on Saturday afternoon

Sat 10-6-07 noon
From Debbie
Our prayers were mercifully answered, for which I am thankful, and the meeting with all of Jerry's teams was very informative. Jerry is literally "on the cusp" or at a possible turning point in his recovery. His main complications currently are the ARDS and sepsis. Frankly, 50% of people make it through this "storm", however, those that do resume near normal, very acceptable lives, certainly not without LOTS of rehab to get them there. Jerry is a remarkable person in that he has come this far. He must have an incredible will to live. I have struggled to know whether my own actions during this time have been courageous or cowardace, and conclude they have been both. Now is surely not the time for percipitous behavior, rather cautious intellect is what is needed now. I believe we will see some changes that will be guiding over the course of the next "many" days. Jerry remains more awake, and some of that is good. He cannot communicate well, or talk, but at times we are able to establish communication through gesturing. Surely he does not comprehend fully what has happened to him, but I reassure him that I am there, watching out for him, and have hope that he will get better, but recovery will be long and tough. I read and re-read your cards, notes and emails to Jerry and assure him that he "matters" to many. I tell him that you are all concerned and loving friends and family who have helped us carry this burden. And I assure all of you that, we feel your love. Love, Deb and Jer
Specific prayer requests:
Gratitude for an informative meeting yesterday.
Gratitude for some "hopefulness" in this dark storm.
Pray that Jerry will "turn the corner" in this ARDS-sepsis complication.
Pray that Jerry will be comfortable and lessen his suffering during this time.
Pray for strength and courage to handle whatever comes our way in the future, even if it is not what we ultimately want.

2 comments:

Bruce Breitweiser said...

Dear Deb, Candace and family -

Strength comes from within, and thanks you for being there.

Please know I follow your postings daily. Jerry and all of you are in Jeannie and my prayers.

We leave for mass soon, and will, as always, pray your intentions.

Jerry - all will be well.

Bruce Breitweiser

Gary Witten said...

"Don't walk behind me,
"I may not lead.
"Don't walk infront of me,
"I may not follow.
"Just walk beside me,
"And be my friend."
(Camus)
We are all walking beside the both of you. Thinking of you both daily.
Gary & Kempen